BRAILLE AUTHORITY OF NORTH AMERICA SPRING MEETING

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:00 AM-5:00 PM Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:00 AM-5:00 PM Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:00 AM-12:00 PM

Hosted By Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired Raleigh, North Carolina

MINUTES Callto Orderem esas ke iedia ae n aane a a a AA ae a tlio Judy Dixon BANA chair Judith Dixon called the meeting to order at 9:00 AM.

Welcome: Lisa Hall, CCBVI representative; Tracey Gaines, representing BIA; and Ann Wadsworth, CAER representative

Seating of BANA Members, New Representatives ............c::cccceesseeeeeeeees Judy Dixon

Lisa Hall was appointed by Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired to serve on BANA through 2010

Self-Introductions ..kveaien cies ads ey nates Naveen as Representatives and Observers

BANA representatives:

Kim Charlson, American Council of the Blind (ACB)

Frances Mary (FM) D’ Andrea, American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Mary Nelle McLennan, American Printing House for the Blind (APH)

Diane Wormsley, Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AER)

Mary (May) Davis, Associated Services for the Blind (ASB)

Tracey Gaines (attending for Bonnie Grimm), Braille Institute of America (BIA)

Anne Wadsworth, Canadian Association of Educational Resource Centres for Alternate Format Materials (CAER).

Lisa Hall, Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CCBVI)

Darleen Bogart, CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind)

Susan (Sue) Reilly, California Transcribers and Educators of the Visually Handicapped (CTEVH)

Mary Archer, National Braille Association (NBA), Treasurer

Eileen Curran, National Braille Press (NBP), Vice Chair

Jennifer Dunnam, National Federation of the Blind (NFB), Secretary

Judith (Judy) Dixon, National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), Chair

Observer: Julie Kagy

5 Meeting Arrangements yas asaccauvcinetsa ct acct i datee Diane Wormsley

Diane Wormsley discussed meeting logistics. Judy Dixon gave an overview of the meeting and what the activities would be like, for the benefit of new members.

6 Board's Liability Statements t.i.casceaeissierieezsemdesieuarrenauaaeeuiaraens Jennifer Dunnam

Jennifer Dunnam read the following statement: BANA indemnifies its Officers and Board of Directors and holds them harmless from all claims of every kind, including court expenses, attorneys' fees, and the claimed amount arising from the performance of their duties as Officers and Directors except for their own acts of dishonesty and gross negligence. (Adopted March 30, 1987)

7 Agenda APPrOVa po Meare n n a aiene Ta aaa a e A Aan Judy Dixon MSC Darleen Bogart moved that the agenda be approved. Passed unanimously.

8 Braille Formats Technical Committee............cccccecccceceeeseeeeeeeeteeeeeens Lynnette Taylor Kim Charlson read the committee report, which is on file.

Discussion occurred regarding the request for a face-to-face meeting; Darleen will check with the Literary Committee and Kim will check with Formats Committee to see if they can meet before, instead of after, the CTEVH meeting. The BANA meeting will occur after CTEVH, and a joint meeting of these technical committees at that time would create a conflict for Darleen.

Everyone on the board wishes to receive a CD containing the most up-to-date finished rules on the new formats rules. It is important for the BANA board to be able to review items as they are done rather than approving at the end of the work when there is lets time.

MSC Kim Charlson moved to transfer charge 98 to the hobbies and crafts committee. Passed unanimously. (See Appendix A, Page 14, for text of charge).

MSC Kim Charlson moved to charge the formats committee to prepare guidelines for the production and formatting of menus. Passed unanimously.

MSC FM D'Andrea moved that charge 129 be discarded from the braille formats committee. Passed unanimously.

MSC Kim Charlson moved that charge 164 be declared done. Passed unanimously.

MSC Kim Charlson moved that charge 139 from the formats committee be declared done. Passed unanimously.

MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved that charge 141 be declared done for the formats committee. Passed unanimously.

(This was done because the charge referred to specific rules that were distributed in 2006).

Computer Braille Technical Commnittee.,..a.sasscacscasssaascasacanatasavascrsecanss Lissa Hirshson Eileen Curran read the report of the committee, which is on file.

In the draft proposed new section 3.3, the braille error in the e-mail address linda1969@aol.com should be fixed.

The committee is asked to look at consistency in the dot locators in the symbols list. The board asks consideration by the committee of putting all of the "Indicators" at the top of the list. A concern was raised that special symbols should be in the same order across codes.

MSC Diane Wormsley moved to transfer charge 117 and 128 to the braille formats committee. Passed unanimously. (See Appendix A, Page 14, for text of charges).

MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved to discard charges 118 and 142 and replace them with a new charge. Passed unanimously.

Discussion occurred on dealing with when to go in and out of computer code for displayed screen shots, and what material should be replicated and what should be canceled out.

The following charge replaces 118 and 142.

MSC Mary Archer moved to charge the Formats committee to work with the CBC committee to create guidelines for the transcription of screen shots, web pages, and other displays captured from electronic media. Passed unanimously.

MSC Diane Wormsley moved to Charge the CBC committee to address when beginning and ending CBC indicators may or may not be necessary, for example in e-mail addresses and URL's. Passed unanimously.

GC The committee is requested to recommend language for a new consolidated charge to replace the charges 96, 119, 131, and 151 which they asked to be consolidated.

12

11

14

13

15

Ad Hoc Foreign Language Committee ..........cccccccccscccceeeeneeeeeeeeneeeeeeeeneeeeeeaes Ann Kelt Eileen Curran read the report, which is on file.

The board requests a definitive timeline for anticipated completion of the foreign language guidelines and expresses its willingness to help any way possible.

Ad Hoc Committee on Early Literacy Materials Production................. Betsy Burnham Diane Wormsley read the report, which is on file.

Charge 121 needs re-wording (clerical modification) to say "work with the research committee." (See Appendix A, Page 14, for text of charges).

MSC Diane Wormsley moved that charge 121 be declared done. Passed unanimously.

MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved that charge 132 be declared done. Passed unanimously.

With respect to charge 145, the interpoint issue is not included in the document we see on the Web site, and therefore the charge cannot be declared “done.”

MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved to declare 143 and 145 ongoing. Passed unanimously. A formal review of the promising practices document by the committee is suggested.

Mathematics Technical Committee ...........cccccccesceeeeeeenteeeeeeeees Dorothy Worthington Mary Archer read the report, which is on file.

MSC Mary Archer moved to charge the Mathematics committee to prepare draft language for a rule based on the following issue raised in the committee report: When using the trademark, copyright, and registered symbols in mathematics transcriptions, in order to prevent confusion with superscripts, it is suggested that they be spaced away from words or numbers associated with them, regardless of the spacing shown in print, except on the title page which is done in literary code. Passed unanimously.

Literary Technical Committee:1..cntannsciiattasnacise amines Martha Pamperin Darleen Bogart read the report, which is on file.

MSC Darleen Bogart moved the appointment of Sharon Clark for a term to end in 2008. Passed unanimously.

Music Technical Committee .......ceic cece cc ceseeeccccneesccccnsesccceeueesccceueesces Lawrence Smith

16

18

10

36

Jennifer Dunnam read the report, which is on file.

MSC FM D'Andrea moved that BANA approve up to $2000 in travel expenses for Larry Smith to participate in the symposium on Braille music notes held on November 13-14, 2008, at the German Central Library for the Blind. Passed unanimously.

A report on this meeting should be prepared by Larry for the BANA board by the end of 2008.

Refreshable Braille Technical Committee ...........ccecccccececeeeeteeeeeeeeeees Caryn Navy Judy Dixon read the report, which is on file.

MSC Kim Charlson moved to appoint Virginia Parker from Canada and Catherine Thomas from the U.S. to serve one year terms as consultants to the Refreshable Braille Committee. E-mail vote to end Thursday, January 24 at 6 P.M. Eastern time. Motion passed unanimously.

Crafts and hobbies Technical Committee 0.0.0... cececcceeeenteeeeeeeteeeees Marcy Ponzio

May Davis read the report, which is on file.

GC A press release/announcement will be created and distributed via BANA- announce regarding recruiting members for the committee.

Strategic Planning... Diane Wormsley and Mary Nelle McLennan g g y y

Diane Wormsley gave an overview of the strategic planning process to be used, and Mary Nelle McLennan led us through the process.

Three questions were asked:

1. What is under control (what is BANA doing that is working)?

2. What is not under control (what is BANA doing that is not working)?

3. What is BANA not doing that needs to be done?

Those questions led to the main question "What does BANA need in order to be effective?" A list of answers to these questions was developed by the board, put on a board, and categorized under headings and in terms of whether each category was operational or strategic. The list is on file.

Work on the strategic planning will continue in the coming months. The meeting recessed at 5:00 PM and reconvened after dinner.

Around the Table... cece teii All BANA REPRESENTATIVES

32

31

The BANA representatives shared news of the braille-related activities of their respective organizations.

International Braille Organizations

No report given.

32.3 World Braille Council: Darlene Bogart

No report given.

32.4 WBU North America/Region: Kim Charlson No report given.

32.1 ICEB Meeting

MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved to appoint Diane Wormsley as BANA's fourth delegate to the ICEB meeting in April. E-mail vote to end Thursday, December 13 at 8:00 A.M. Eastern Time. Voting yes: Mary Archer, Pam Boss, Kim Charlson, Eileen Curran, May Davis, Jennifer Dunnam, Bonnie Grimm, Mary Nelle McLennan, Donna Passey, Sue Reilly. Abstaining: Darleen Bogart. Not Voting: Diane Wormsley

The four delegates from BANA to the International Council on English Braille assembly—Eileen Curran, Diane Wormsley, Judy Dixon, and Kim Charlson—discussed the meeting. The following ICEB officers were elected: Mary Schnackenberg, President; Darleen Bogart, vice President; Judy Dixon, secretary; and Bill Jolley, treasurer. At this assembly ICEB passed 15 resolutions, which can be found on the ICEB Web site, http://www.iceb.org. There is talk of a refreshable braille conference sometime in 2009. There will be a conference in France co-sponsored by AVH and a bicentenary committee. Judy and Kim have been invited to present at the bicentenary conference from January 4- 8 in Paris.

UEB- Gal isi icdascias seran E A ERER Darleen Bogart

The contractions committee is finished, the formats is still being worked on, and they are also working on foreign language, it will then go into a mode of keeping it up to date etc. A code book is being written by the Australians, which should be finished in a year; the rules chairs are collaborating on it with them.

32.2 IPA AND UEB Linguistics Update: Darleen Bogart

Robert Englebretson along with the linguistics committee wrote the IPA for braille. CNIB will contribute the braille copies of IPA braille. The print and braille will be

13

17

downloadable; in braille it can be downloaded by those who have a means of printing the correl-draw "glyphs".

The meeting recessed at 8:30 PM and came to order again at 9:00 AM on May 14, at the Governor Moorhead School for the Blind.

Observers, Deborah Barnes, Miriam Dixon, Mitch Wood. Literary Technical Committee: iis. Nac entiies Seva aa vet Martha Pamperin

Discussion returned to the literary committee report. If the committee chooses emphasis symbols that are different from other codes, they will need to provide a good rationale for it. There are no absolutes. The preference would be not to go so far astray, but the board is not against looking at anything new for emphasis indicators.

Tactile Graphics Technical Committee sic caccseeonncscte een acita weenie Lucia Hasty

MSC Mary Archer moved that permission be granted to use the Proposed Guidelines for Tactile Graphics for workshops to be presented at CTEVH, NBA, and CNIB for 2008 as long as they are clearly marked Draft. The motion was amended to say that if draft guidelines are distributed, they should be retrieved at the end of the workshops. E-mail vote to end Thursday, February 27 at noon Eastern Time. Passed unanimously.

A future role for technical committee liaisons is for them to provide clarity to the board on whether charges are ready to be declared "done" or not.

MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved to declare charge 93 done. Passed unanimously. (See Appendix A, Page 14, for text of charges).

We will not make the appointments until the fall for this committee; we do not have actual resignations from the current outgoing members.

Braille Institute of America is donating the production of the copies of the tactile graphics for the review copies for the guidelines. BANA will reimburse CNIB for the Canadian vinyl material. NLS will send thermoform paper to BIA. Mary Nelle, FM, and Eileen will work together to craft language requesting technical committee reviewers for the document; each committee will be strongly encouraged to have at least one person reviewing it, and for some committees the liaisons will encourage all members to review it. The audience of the book is transcribers and teachers who produce tactile graphics. Reviews have typically been done by each committee chair taking the comments from the reviewers and preparing a report, which is sent to BANA-Tech. There will be a review form. The reviewers will be given printouts of the text.

MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved that permission be granted to use the Proposed Guidelines for Tactile Graphics for a workshop to be presented at AER for 2008 as long as they are clearly marked Draft. If draft guidelines are distributed, they

should be retrieved at the end of each workshop. This workshop should be conducted without CEU credit for any attending afterward. Passed unanimously.

Ad Hoc Committee on Standardized Tests..........cceccccccceceeseeeeeeseneeeeeeeeeees Judy Dixon

Judy Dixon will contact people that we identified at the last meeting to serve on the committee, so that we can get the committee moving.

By-Laws Committee assay e cia a tdeny Neveu itis hve avd es eins Eileen Curran

No report. Eileen has resigned as chair of the Bylaws committee.

MSC Frances Mary D'Andrea moved to appoint Darleen Bogart as chair of the bylaws committee. Passed unanimously.

Jennifer Dunnam will take the lead in fixing up the policies.

Education and Outreach Committee............cceeccceeeeceeeeeeteeees Frances Mary D'Andrea FM D'Andrea read the report, which is on file.

MSC Kim Charlson moved that charge 158 be declared "done" for the education and outreach committee. Passed unanimously. (See Appendix A, Page 14, for text of charges).

The board affirmed the direction the committee is taking regarding the BANA award. MSC Mary Archer moved to charge the Education and Outreach committee to develop a position paper with guidelines for brailling business cards. Passed unanimously.

Discussion occurred about also including such guidelines in Formats, or some way to have it be a more formalized process. We should at least let the technical committees know and provide opportunity for their input. We will post it to BANA-tech first. Discussion occurred about a web form for organizations to put information about their Louis Braille bicentenary activities of organizations. Kim and FM will develop the text

for the form, and a release once it is ready.

MSC FM D'Andrea moved to create an area on the BANA web site for the posting of information about Louis Braille celebrations. Passed unanimously.

Publications Committees; activin ceuosauniaulnwnicuainwarne aes Judy Dixon

23

24

25

Following Warren Figueiredo's resignation, Mary Nelle has agreed to be chair of the committee. She is a board member, and therefore to have her be chair would require a suspension of the rules requiring that ad hoc committees not have members of the board as chair.

MSC Mary Archer moved to suspend the rules and to appoint Mary Nelle McLennan as chair of the Publications Committee. Passed unanimously.

Braille Research Committee access scisny sev ciad oeatdses Wasi co vitaen Chace aed Diane Wormsley No report.

20 survey results for the crafts and hobbies committee were returned, but they yielded nothing definitive, and wider distribution of the survey is recommended.

Diane Wormsley gave an overview of Cheryl Kamei Hannan's research. The board will receive a report.

There will be additional expenses sent to the board for reimbursement.

Ad Hoc Committee on Uncontracted Braille Transcription Guidelines... Kim Charlson No report.

Sue Reilly is named as the chair of the committee.

Darleen Bogart moved to develop a code for uncontracted braille. The motion was withdrawn for lack of a second.

The committee will continue with its current charge #168. (See Appendix A, Page 14, for text of charge).

MSC Mary Archer moved that Kim Charlson and Miriam Dixon be appointed to the committee on uncontracted braille. Passed unanimously.

May will work with the crafts and hobbies committee to draft an announcement to distribute information about their survey. Any messages which are to go out to BANA- Announce need to be sent to Kim.

Each month Kim will post a reminder to BANA-I1 for those who wish to send items to BANA-announce. Posts to BANA-announce should be only items that are BANA- related, and they should be redistributable to other venues.

Ad Hoc Committee on Braille Signage and Labeling... Kim Charlson

No report from the committee.

The European Union has package labeling requirements and Canada is close to having them. A trade organization is working on developing such guidelines in the U.S.

MSC Eileen Curran moved to charge the signage committee to explore strategies to assist sign-making companies to produce accurate braille. Passed unanimously.

MSC Kim Charlson moved to appoint Miriam Dixon to the signage committee. Passed unanimously.

Discussion occurred about whether signs should be in uncontracted braille. A new ADAG will soon be released with guidance for signage.

MSC Kim Charlson moved that BANA recommend to the access board that uncontracted braille be an option in the production of signage, and further recommend that capital indicators be deemed unnecessary. Passed with everyone voting in the affirmative except Darleen Bogart and Ann Wadsworth abstaining.

Secretary's Report

26.1 Minutes--Fall 2007 Jennifer Dunnam

MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved that the minutes of the fall 2007 meeting be approved as distributed. E-mail vote to end Wednesday, January 2, 2008 at 7:00 A.M. Eastern Time. Voting yes: Mary Archer, Darleen Bogart, Kim Charlson, Eileen Curran, FM D'Andrea, May Davis, Jennifer Dunnam, Bonnie Grimm, Donna Passey, Sue Reilly, Diane Wormsley. Not Voting: Pam Boss, Mary Nelle McLennan

26.2 Certificates of Appreciation: Judy Dixon

Kim Charlson will be taking over getting the certificates of appreciation and the letters out. The recognition for Edie Mourre has yet to happen--Kim will send a certificate to her family.

Several others who served for BANA will receive certificates of appreciation.

26.3 Directory Update: Judy Dixon

Judy Dixon has taken over management of the directory due to the resignation of Warren Figueiredo. She will do four directories per year.

26.4 BANA Exhibit: Eileen Curran

Major discussion occurred on banners and trunks. The cost to purchase a banner should be around $500.

10

27

The banner will include just the logo and the web site. Sue and FM will take care of getting the banner. Eileen will cause the trunk to be bought.

MSC Kim Charlson moved to charge the outreach committee to be responsible for the management of the BANA exhibit process. Passed unanimously.

26.5 BANA's Listservs: Kim Charlson

Any changes should be sent to Kim.

Barbria Bacon, director of the Governor Moorhead School for the Blind welcomed us. Treasurers Report ain enntin a E namin aw E E E ae Mary Archer 27.1 2007 year-end financial statement

Mary read the report that is on file. Year was ended in the positive in 3,780.27.

27.2 financial statement for 2008 year-to-date

The report is on file. We have spent $80 in the first quarter. Dues are all up to date now from 2007. Balance in checking account is $3,212.81. Savings $25,557.93. Total cash $28,770.74. A 5-month CD was bought for $5,000.

MSC Darleen Bogart moved to accept the treasurer's report. Passed unanimously.

The meeting recessed to begin the open forum (See Appendix B, page 16), for notes on the proceedings).

The meeting came to order on May 15 at 9:00 AM.

28

30

29

BANACTATODIVES enea RR Frances Mary D'Andrea Judy made the requested changes in the memo from last fall and sent it to Micheal Hudson last November, and further progress is pending. The memo must be signed by both parties. FM will be in Louisville in June.

JaA AE EE S E E A EE EOE S EES RRE Eileen Curran Discussion occurred on what to include in the press release for this meeting.

BOOKSNaTE O10 yoke srs adhere cor esd a a SOR. Judy Dixon

Jim Fruchterman, CEO of Benetech, and Susan Christensen, consultant for Benetech's Bookshare project, joined the meeting and discussed issues of braille production at

11

34

22

37

Bookshare. A report on the discussion is attached. BANA expressed concerns regarding the lack of adherence to BANA codes in the production of braille versions of Bookshare's books, particularly with regard to children's textbooks.

32.2 IPA AND UEB Linguistics Update: Darleen Bogart

Discussion returned to the IPA code. Kim raised the question as to whether we should do something about the IPA formally. Quite a few linguists have seen it and used it, drafts have been reviewed, etc. The official code will be on the ICEB web site and will be downloadable at no charge. The "glyphs" on the download are for swell paper. ICEB has approved this code.

MSC Kim Charlson moved that BANA initiate the process for technical committees to review the IPA for consideration of adoption at our November 2008 meeting. Passed unanimously.

Darleen will expedite getting the IPA on the ICEB web site. Fall 2008 Meeting: sireenin eta a e ests tes anette a aena iaaa Eileen Curran

The next meeting will be November 7 thru 9th with the 9th, a Sunday, a half day. NBP is considering at the Midtown hotel. The open forum will be on Saturday afternoon.

The open forum will not be held in the NBP conference room. Board members should plan travel so that committee meetings can occur Thursday evening.

Strategic planning will be 5:00 to 8:00 on Thursday. Publications Committee

MSC Mary Archer moved to accept the proposal from APH to cell the code books with the update included, at a cost increase of ten dollars per code book, as well as selling the complete update separately at a cost of ten dollars. Passed Unanimously.

Diane Wormsley was commended for the excellent meeting arrangements. Future BANA MEETINGS

Spring 2009--CTEVH Fall 2009--AFB Spring 2010--ACB Fall 2010--CNIB Spring 2011--CCBVI Fall 2011--NBA Spring 2012--NFB Fall 2012--BIA Spring 2013--NLS

12

38

Fall 2013--APH

Spring 2014—CAER??? Fall 2014--ASB

Spring 2015--AER

Adjournment: Judy Dixon

The meeting was adjourned at noon.

Respectfully Submitted, Jennifer Dunnam, Secretary

13

APPENDIX A COMMITTEE CHARGES REFERENCED BY NUMBER IN THE SPRING 2008 MINUTES

See the references in the minutes for the current disposition of each of these charges.

#93 (11/14/2003) that the Tactile Graphics Technical Committee be charged to develop guidelines for the use of Tactile Graphics Supplements

#96 (3/26/2004) to draft a revision to CBC to recommend when a Computer Braille Code Symbol should appear on the Special Symbols page

#98 (11/5/2004) that the Formats Committee work with the Outreach Committee to prepare a survey on format issues for menus, knitting and crocheting patterns in order to publish it in news letters for comment by braille readers.

#117 (4/17/2005) to clarify How to Handle Spread Sheets with Column Headings #118 (4/17/2005) to devise a method on how and when to transcribe screen shots

#119 (4/17/2005) to review their Recommendation and suggest an existing order of CBC symbols to be used (i.e., a template), and a generic Transcriber Note regarding the use of lower numbers to be done by September 30th

#121 (4/17/2005) To collaborate with the Ad Hoc Committee on Early Literacy Materials Production to develop field test materials

#128 (11/3/2005) [in conjunction with the Braille Formats Committee] that the final draft of the spreadsheets rule be prepared for the technical committee review process, including the exact reference of where it will be inserted, and in context, using specific language and numbering.

#129 (11/3/2005) [in conjunction with the Computer Technical Committee] that the final draft of the spreadsheets rule be prepared for the technical committee review process, including the exact reference of where it will be inserted, and in context, using specific language and numbering.

#131 (11/3/2005) [in conjunction with the Braille Formats Committee] the wording for Special Symbols be finalized and circulated for technical committee review as outlined in BANA Policies

#132 (11/3/2005) to work with BANA’s Braille Research Committee to help formulate research questions related to emphasis, and to help the Research Committee with preparation of examples.

#139 (3/12/2006) that rule 1 section 13E be prepared for distribution to the technical committees, with language clarifying that a letter standing for a word always should be capitalized

#141 (3/12/2006) that the rule changes be prepared for technical committee review, reviewing charge 5 and clarifying language

#142 (3/12/2006) that a description of what screen shots are and how they are to be handled be prepared by the CBC Committee for review by technical committees, including language to be placed in the CBC referring readers to Braille Formats.

#143 (3/12/2006) [BANA board] recommends stating the options regarding single-sided or interpoint braille in early literary materials but not expressing a preference.

#145 (10/22/2006) to work with the mathematics committee on formulating guidelines for the formatting of transcriptions of k-3 math materials.

#151 (4/13/2007) The board expresses to the committee that we would like to see the language of the final ruling on the Special Symbols page charge (Charge 96: to draft a revision to CBC to recommend when a Computer Braille Code Symbol should appear on the Special Symbols page) completed by the fall 2007 meeting.

#158 (4/13/07) Define a consistent and rational purpose and approach for the open fora, including a method of evaluation.

#164 (10/15/07) To select a group of reviewers to make a preliminary evaluation of the Formats document.

#169 (11/15/08) To review existing guidelines on the preparation of uncontracted braille (in

situations where uncontracted braille is to be produced) and to prepare draft guidelines for review by the spring of 2008.

15

APPENDIX B NOTES FROM Open forum

FRANCES Mary D'Andrea welcomed the participants. A handout was distributed with three topics for discussion.

FM introduced Judy Dixon, BANA chair, who also welcomed everyone and expressed appreciation. She explained the membership of BANA.

FM then introduced Barbria Bacon, director of the Governor Moorhead School, who expressed her appreciation for BANA's holding an open forum at the school.

FM indicated that this is the eighth open forum associated with our semiannual meetings.

Then all participants introduced themselves. A good mix of braille readers, braille transcribers, and teachers was in attendance—eleven participants. Then FM explained the structure of BANA and its committees. She let the group know that the comments would be noted, included in the BANA minutes, and conveyed to the formats committee.

Topic 1: Kim Charlson walked the group through the topic of suggested guidelines for the formatting of menus. Two menu examples were presented, two versions of exactly the same menu. The main difference was that in the first, the price was presented on the first line of each item, at the right margin, with guide dots between it and the item name. In the second, the item price was presented following the description just after the last word of the description.

the first question was whether the "information symbol" and associated content should be at the top or at the end. The reaction was mixed, some like it at the top and some at the end.

The information symbol was presented as a way to let the reader know that something important was there; there is no equivalent in print.

One person thought the same information could be conveyed by indenting and the symbol is not necessary.

The consensus of the group was that the leader dots before the price were preferred. The prices in the second example without the leader dots were more difficult to find when skimming.

Comment: One person suggested that the size of menus should be 8-1/2 by 11 rather than 11 inch, to make it easier to deal with in a food environment.

The question came up as to whether people would like the price immediately after the name of the sandwich without the leader dots. People seemed to think that it would be better than in the second example, but they preferred the leader dots.

People commented that with the leader dots the prices are in a row so that you can find the least pricey item.

Comment that it is important to be able to read a menu quickly.

The group felt overwhelmingly that the table of contents would be good in a menu; one person dissented.

People said that if the menu was particularly big then the table of contents was especially important.

16

The group also felt that a title page in print was important.

Discussion occurred about transcribers moving the text around on the page, and is this information symbol a good way to indicate when items are modified from the print.

Some people thought maybe a blank line above and below with an asterisk before it might be a better way to handle this.

Another comment that no symbol is needed if there is indentation.

It was noted that transcribers are trained to braille only what is in print; inserting parentheses would not follow this principle.

A suggestion was made that a special symbols page be put on a menu if the information symbol is used.

Topic 2: Darleen Bogart introduced Topic 2, concerning emphasis. Darleen Bogart discussed the differences between literary and formats in their handling of the italics and boldface. We now need to be able to represent underlining and colors.

The first example concerned capitals. One person liked the double caps in front of each word. Another spoke in support of the triple caps before the first word.

Darleen then explained the italics examples, the first with our usual italics; the second had the closing symbol after the series of words (British); and the third showed the UEB example with the (46, 2).

The rationale for using the dots 23 to italicize a letter is that the 23 is like the letter sign.

One person suggests to just use the 456 for the bold instead of just adding the 46 and the 456 One person stumbled over the UEB italics as they looked like less-than and greater-than signs. Example 4 inserted punctuation such as brackets. It was noted that it is a departure from following print.

A comment that the 456 46 looks like 1k. Some people thought the 45 with the dot 2 afterward would be better. (This was mixed reaction.

Then on to underlining. Participants were somewhat confused about the use of dots 456. A teacher commented that she was very glad that the emphasis issue is being addressed.

Then the group looked at an exercise for students, to show why we need the emphasis indicators. The directions read "Write definitions for the words in italics, and be prepared to discuss the concepts in italics."

Darleen mentioned the transcriber option symbols for color etc, but these were not shown in example.

There was then discussion of what the headings in the examples looked like in print; some bolded and underlined, some not centered etc. Darleen pointed out that we would still not use emphasis indicators when headings were offset with indention, centering, blank lines, etc.

The group was encouraged to send any further comments on these issues to darleen.bogart@cnib.ca.

FM said she hopes this gives the participants a taste of some of the kinds of deliberations that go on in technical committees. The English language is always changing and people are always coming up with creative ways to show things in print; braille must constantly adjust to the

17

demands of what is being printed. In general, there were very few comments from participants.

Then participants were asked to talk about how BANA can best meet the needs of transcribers and readers etc.

A comment was made that adult braille teaching materials do not always keep up with the changes (for example Weiss and Weiss’s Braille: A Different Approach does not even include the currently used percent sign.)

Comment: disseminating materials is easier now with electronic instead of just hard copy.

Kim asked if anyone had recently noticed any new symbols that they had not seen before, like the copyright, trademark, registered, crosshatch, slash. Some people had seen them.

The next question: is poor braille better than no braille? Comment: how poor; if it's extremely poor, no. Comment that this should be more of a “multiple choice” question.

Comment: give me information.

Comment: if the transcriber has done his/her best, then it's ok; but if sloppy formatting and symbols, there comes a point .... A little leeway is permissible.

Question: could we have a "shortcut" formats guidelines, or should we remain sticklers for what is in Braille Formats?

Question: What if there's not a transcriber?

An example was given of braille provided on a cruise; horrendous formatting; accented letters bad. She did not complain, though, because the braille was better than nothing.

Comment: different standards for oneself than for children.

What if there was a BANA format for the eleven things that must be done to have it formatted correctly?

Comment: shortcut fine but the in-depth book should still be available.

A question from a non-transcriber, about how would one know what a new symbol was if it was there. The special symbols page was explained.

Someone shared that one transcriber had put a stick of gum in the back of a book and indicated this on the special symbols page, so it could be determined whether the students had read the special symbols page.

Generally the group was more in favor of the in-depth rules for formatting rather than shortcuts.

Question: how much should braille reflect what is in print?

Comment: Try to follow print as much as possible.

Question: there are specific things in the Chicago style as to how to do bold and italic, is that important?

There should be some way of showing the differences in emphasis. Sometimes it's just to look pretty in print.

The group overwhelmingly understood the importance of standards in braille for state testing. Concern was expressed over whether students were being taught to read things as transcribed in the state tests (according to BANA codes).

The group was encouraged to e-mail any follow-up comments.

Suggestion about music braille, that symbols should follow the notes instead of preceding them.

18